Sunday, July 29, 2012

Kids

Can you remember how special summer was when you were a child? How wonderful it felt to put away your lunch kit for the last time until fall? How great it was to know you rarely had to wear shoes and how exquisite it felt to have grass or sand between your toes for most of the day?  Do you remember how slow and quiet early mornings were when you no longer had to rush out the door to school and you had time to watch the sun chasing shadows on the kitchen floor?  Wasn't it awesome to eat sweet sticky watermelon or a cold icy Popsicle or a drippy ice cream cone while sitting on the steps outside?  I discovered that while reviewing the many photos I took of my last trip, sweet children having fun had materialized in some of them.  (I am careful not to post any with recognizable faces except for the public musical festival in Charlottetown, PEI, and yes, the first one has been manipulated.) 



Three angels plotting some nefarious stunt, I am sure.


Beach-combing in the shade of the late afternoon.  Gotta love those water shoes.


The joy of music and dancing.


Walking with mom and sis on the bog.

20 comments:

  1. Fabulous post - but how sad that we have to be so careful these days about catching children, even inadvertently, in our photographs. You're right, of course, but I do find it sad. Thanks for this one. Memory lane, and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. smiles....kids keep us young with that wonder and their energy...i know mine do for me...cool pics....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:34 AM

    I fondly remember the joy I felt went school was out for some summertime fun by the sea.
    Thanks for the walk down memory lane :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer still feels that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer afternoon - Summer afternoon... the two most beautiful words in the English language.
    Henry James
    British (US -born) author (1843 - 1916

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer still is joyful and in slow motion for most of us. Until we look aroun and it's gone for another year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really set this one up! I was surprised when I got to the pictures. Great post. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was nice, wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think childhood memories are the best. They can be unpredictable though. We tried making memories with our kids when they were young but they seemed to remember things we never thought important - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi again!
    I can quite see how that would come about. Thinking back to my own childhood, I remember the absolutely hot spots (some of them traumatic, like going into hospital when I was five) and the quite trivial, which I am sure no one else remembered. Interestingly, the hospital memories, some of which must have been traumatic at the time, do not seem so in memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always concerned that any child's picture I post might end up in evil hands.

    I loved your words for this post. As I age, I often forget how to have fun and enjoy simple things. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful places, beautiful photographs. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love to feel the energy of kids. I didn't notice it until the last few years, which I take as a sign that I am losing my own. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:16 PM

    Wonderful memories and photos that capture the essence of summer. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Their joy and exuberance is palpable. Wonderful captures. I love the treatment you gave the first image. It's absolutely dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet childhood! I can remember those distant days and I love when my own Grandchildren engage in simple pleasures. Lovely pics of innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's good to see children outside at all these days.. So many don't go out and play and get exercise --like we did!

    Summer was such a marvelous time when we were young... We played outside from morning 'til dark... SO much fun!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this post!
    Really you are a talented writer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah! Love these photos, too!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.